Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Elisabeth of Valois

The year is 1568, and my dear Elisabeth of Valois has just passed away in childbirth. 9 years in Spain I had spent with her, watching her grow from girl to woman, and her death has truly cast a pallor over the entire court. Although I was only her lady-in-waiting, I was her art tutor as well, and each moment with her was a joy. It is a shame for such a woman to pass at the young age of 23.
Elisabeth de Valois, painted by myself
King Philip II is devastated, to say the least. I had never seen a couple so much in love before Elisabeth and Philip. Elisabeth's mother offered her younger daughter Margaret to Philip, but he promptly refused. He obviously is not in the mood to think of other women.
However, now the matter of my own future comes into question here. Now that Elisabeth has passed, I am no longer needed as her art tutor or lady-in-waiting. Will I stay as court painter here, or will Philip send me elsewhere? He had discussed the topic of my marriage recently, but I am already 36. Whether I marry or not is no longer of great importance to me. Wherever I am, as long as I have my canvas and paints, I am happy.

- Sofonisba Anguissola, 36 years old


 Sources: wikipedia.org, mystudios.com, answers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment